The Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO) has 3 focus areas—research, responsibility, and education.
In order to move nano-education forward, SNO has set forth a goal:
Raise nanotechnology to an academic discipline equivalent to chemistry, physics, biology, engineering.
SNO believes that:
- Nanotechnology remains buried in the pockets of other disciplines as a secondary topic.
- The foundations of nanotechnology itself are not completely laid out within these disciplines.
- Students do not always see the connections between the traditional sciences and nano-technology.
- Nanotechnology can become a unifying science.
- As a new discipline, nanotechnology can be imbued with sustainability approaches.
To reach the goal is a big task ahead, but there already exist model programs and disciplines that have preceded us.